Re: coils and balasts

To: trsixman@hotmail.com (lionel klotz)
Subject: Re: coils and balasts
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 5 Nov 2002 11:54:08 -0800 (PST)
Lionel---Turn on the ignition key and connect a voltmeter to ground and
the wire at the coil + side. If you don't have a 'meter but do have a
test light, note that the test light will be very bright when connecting
to both battery terminals, but not so bright if you happen to have only
six volts at the coil + .  There are other ways to determine if the wire
to the coil has ballast resistance, but the above is quick and easy.

I have changed so many things in my wiring I no longer remember if the
original wiring had ballast resistance. (I know it doesn't now)

You should be able to tell visually if the intensity of the spark
(length and color)
leaving the spark plug wires is hotter after installing the Sport Coil.
Don't expect much in the way of performance gains under stock engine
conditions.

Dick
'73