Re: Tranny Problems

To: "Paula J. Graffam" <pjgraffam@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Tranny Problems
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:28:41 -0500 (EST)
On Mon, 18 Nov 2002, Paula J. Graffam wrote:

> Hi there,
>
> For all those latest postings from guys with tranny troubles . . . I
> haven't heard of anyone considering a conversion over to a Toyota system.
>  I truly do hope that the reason why someone would not consider it is
> that the purity/orginality would be lost.  Doesn't it make sense to have
> an 80s design tranny than a 50's?  Besides, no one would ever know except
> you.

Well Al, originality might be an issue, but for many of us the issue is
probably more of a money thing than anything else. False economy? Maybe.
But there's also a certain satifaction in fixing up a knackered TR6 tranny
and making it work right. After doing the job 4 or 5 times, you get
downright competent at the job.

FWIW, the technology in the TR6 gearbox is pretty good. I'll have to take
you for a spin sometime and show you the smooth clutchless shifting
operation that a TR6 can deliver.

:-)

> Waiting for my van den Akker conversion from UPS,

Kewl.

> Al Graffam  74TR6  French Blue  CT.

regards,
rml
p.s if you need to unload the old gearbox, I might have some space in my
"collection" for another donor.
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |