Re: Confused by Kastners charts

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Confused by Kastners charts
From: Shane Ingate <madmax_xx@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 19 Nov 2002 11:10:47 -0500
Don,

On 11/18/02 21:04, "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net> wrote:

> The charts on pages 9 and 10 both show HP curves using the standard
> head, other than 10.0:1 CR, and using the S2 cam. It's curve "A" on page
> 9 and curve "C" on page 10. Curve "A" page 9 peaks at about 148 HP while
> curve "C" on page 10 peaks at only 139 HP. There is also a note for
> lower HP curve "C" on page 10 that in addition to the 10.0:1 CR,
> velocity stacks and a racing valve grid were used. It seems strange that
> the velocity stacks and the racing valve grind lower the HP? Am I
> missing something?
I don9t have Kas' book in front of me, but I seem to remember that
everything was consistent.  I think that the curve labeled "B" on page 9 is
the same as curve "D" on page 10, which means that curve "B" on page 9 may
have been running headers.  I think there is also a slight difference in
advance.  The pulls are also separated in time by 4 months, and you know Kas
had been weaving some magic in that time!

> Is a racing valve grind a 3 angle valve grind?
Who knows what Kas meant by that.  A 3-angle valve grind is a standard
hot-rodders trick.  Kas' valve grind may or may not have included some black
magic.

> It's also interesting that the 10.0:1 CR only raises the HP to about 113
> HP from the stock of 103 HP, while the S2 cam plus the 10.0:1 CR raises
> the HP to either 148 or 139 depending on which chart you want to
> believe. Seems that the cam is by far the most important performance
> addition one can make.
Incorrect assumption, Don.  What you need to see is the curve of the S2 cam
on a stock head; you would be surprised at how little the HP would increase.
What you are seeing here is an example of systems integration; combining 2
well-matched components makes the system "sing". If they are poorly matched,
the system will not work well at all.  Its kinda like marriage!

> FWIW, TRF sells Kastners book for $5.00.
I've seen some poor folk buy the same on eBay for $15!  It pays to shop
around.

Ceya,

Shane Ingate in Maryland