TR-6 performance

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR-6 performance
From: "Jim Swarthout" <jswarth1@tampabay.rr.com>
Date: Sat, 30 Nov 2002 23:35:42 -0500
I have enjoyed reading the latest thoughts, and theories, regarding the
performance of a "TR-6".

There have been numerous discussions about Roller Rockers, compression
ratio's, super-charging, Cam Shafts, nitrous-oxide, After market wheels,
Petrol Injection, Urethane bushings, The adaptation of Toyota
transmissions & Nissan differentials, even thoughts that the whole
drive-train, engine and all, should be replaced with, "burp", high tech
components! Why not just take the classic looking body and put it on
your favorite "POS"...seems easier!!! Of course, "those in the know"!!!
Will soon consider!!! Changing the not so "NEW" body style...for
Christ's sake simply buy another car!!!

I almost feel like I'm in the company of Juan Fangio or maybe Phil Hill
with all of these technical discussions. But I know I'm not! Learn to
tune your car...yourself!!! Learn to drive your car!!! Any idiot who
will make the comment that a TR-6 transmission is archaic by design does
not have a clue what he is talking about!!! If you're used to "D" for
"GO" and "R" for "back-up, take a silly class or something! Stop bashing
the gears and learn how to drive!!! A TR-6 is not a dragster, (I.E.
Nitrous Oxide). What difference does it make that the person in front of
you with a new..."who cares"...just left the light quicker than you
could!!! A TR-6 properly tuned...suspension first...then
engine...performs wonderfully!!! Well beyond the capabilities of most
drivers!!!

I love it when people prattle-on about "high-tech" auto parts.

Case in point; In addition to my 74 "6", I also recently acquired a 1978
X 1/9. I know...I know...(FIAT)...(F)ix (I)t (A)gain (T)ony!!! But you
know after a really good tune up, this engine turns 7,000 without
hesitation!!! It's a blast to drive!!! AND GUESS WHAT, "GULP", IT HAS
IGNITION POINTS!!! So does my "6". I'm now ready to investigate the
possibility of upgrading to an electronic ignition. Yeah right!!!

The first person to accurately answer one of the questions below will
receive a set of CNC machined roller rockers for a 250/GT6/6. Contrary
to popular thoughts: roller rockers, properly designed, with added
ratio, "will" greatly add to the performance of the 2.0L & 2.5L stock TR
engine. Increased low end torque, and higher RPM power are immediately
noticed in a stock engine.

1) There were 2 reasons why electronic ignition was developed? Both
answers pertain to the consumer, or auto owner.

2) Upon introduction: Hydraulic Camshafts were touted to be a technology
breakthrough. Why?  Was it really a ruse? Today many people believe that
hydraulic cams have a grind profile that is far superior to anything
that could be achieved in a mechanical cam. Is this True or False?

3) What does an air pump, (smog pump), do? Explain the entire
cycle...peripheral equipment!

4) Why will roller rockers of an equal ratio open the valves further?

5) What performance gains will you achieve by installing a long
duration...(extended period of valve opening)..., high lift, camshaft in
an otherwise stock engine?

6) Why does an early Ferrari have a "true" 5-speed gearbox, but a 2003
Toyota does not?

7) Suppose you have two 152ci TR engines side-by-side; same, make,
model. One engine has a compression ratio of 12:1 with a static
compression of 90. The other engine has a compression ratio of 7.5:1
with a static compression of 200. Which engine would you want in your
car? Why?

8) Is compression ratio related to static compression? Yes or No, and
why?

9) You're speedometer shows 60MPH. You're Tachometer shows 3000 RPM's.
You're in 4th gear at 1:1 with a final drive ratio of 4:10. What is the
outside diameter of your tires?

10) What are the differences between a machined part, a forging, and a
casting? Which is better? For what application? Be specific!

11) How are engine firing orders determined by the engineers? Is it
rhyme or reason?

12) If the piston to be fired is approaching compression...(15 degrees
BTDC)... and you have the timing set to fire at 10 degrees Before
TDC...why doesn't the piston travel back down...moving in the direction
from which it just came...?

Best Regards,

Jim