Distributorless Ignition Project

To: 6pack List <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Distributorless Ignition Project
From: Kendall Larsen <kendallsemail@yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 00:41:58 -0800 (PST)
Hey Listers,
    I need some input from the ignition system guru's
out there. I'm an electrical engineering student and
I'm proposing a Sr. project that will consist of
designing a programable distributorless ignition
system(DIS). It would be adaptable for any car but of
course I want to put it on my TR6. I'm still in
earliest planning stages and this where hopefully some
of you will come in. I'm looking for info on what the
mechanical advance, vaccumn advance/retard ignition
curves look like. For those of you that have set up
DIS or recurved their distributors, did you work off
of any printed materials or is it purely an itterative
process best accomplished on a dyno? Also if you have
any horror stories from attempting to set up a DIS,
I'm all ears. I think I have a decent grasp of whats
going to be needed to accomplish the task but I'm
intending that it will take at least 3 times longer
than it 'should' will cost 3 times as much, and I'll
learn more than I can imagine.

ANY comments or thoughts are definetly welcomed.

Kendall Larsen
74.5 TR6

oh yeah while in London last week I spotted only one
dilapidated TR6. The only Triumph I saw, also saw an
MGB and MG GT, but that was about it for the LBC's. I
didn't get out of London to see any of the museums.