RE: Roller Rocker Performance Question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Roller Rocker Performance Question
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 4 Dec 2002 11:53:00 -0800
        Mike:

        First of all, I assume you meant that you are setting the lash to
to 0.012"I/0.014"E and NOT 0.120"I/0.140"E. If I am wrong in this
assumption, then I would say that whoever gave you that recommendation
is a quack, and should be avoided in the future at all costs.
        Ahem. so, assuming that the lash is in fact 0.012"/0.014" let's
do a little math. If we assume a stock cam, you added something like
0.020" more lift when switching to the roller rockers. Subtract from
this the increase in the lash settings, and in rough numbers you netted
0.018" more for the intake, and 0.016" more for the exhaust.
        These are small numbers. While I would expect that you will
measure a few more HP on a dyno or on your 1/4mi ETs, you will not
notice this in the seat of your pants.
        I would guess you picked up about 3 HP at the crank, slightly
less at the rear wheels.
        As far as lash settings go, I cannot say for certain what would
be "correct". I know that the looser you set the lash, the weaker
in effect you make your camshaft. My inclination would be to stick with
the stock settings of (memory check!!) 0.010".
        If I recalled the stock lash number incorrectly, someone will
straighten me out. Obviously, if I buggered the stock numbers, the above
calculations would be affected as well, so you can completely
blow me off =:-o

        Cheers,

        Vance

1974 Mimosa Yellow Triumph TR6