Re: Not an engineer!

To: YeOldEd@aol.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Not an engineer!
From: Jadewey211@cs.com
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 2002 12:39:20 EST
In a message dated 12/5/02 12:16:38 PM Eastern Standard Time, YeOldEd@aol.com
writes:

> If RPM increases above, say, 4200, and MPH increases above about 85,
>  (although power is reducing), am I going faster but not accelerating, or
is
>  it just inertia?
>
>  Or magic? Or Lucas?
>
>  Please keep it simple, and refrain from ignorance abuse, no matter how
>  tempted you may be!
>
>  Mike N
That would depend on frictional losses and aerodynamic constraints. As long
as the engine produces enough power to overcome those resistance's than the
car will continue to accelerate. Top speed is determined by the point at
which the motor can either no longer rev any higher, or when aerodynamic and
friction issues equal the power available.

Jeff Dewey
Richmond, VA