Convertible top frame

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Convertible top frame
From: SamuelsMA@aol.com
Date: Mon, 9 Dec 2002 22:51:45 EST
Listers:

First, I now have the '70 PI back from the (new) mechanic in--drum roll
please--2 working days!  The misfiring and then the inability to start was
from a cracked distributor rotor.  The mechanic went through the PI system
(just like the last one did a week or so ago), found a fuel leak where the
tubing meets the injector and replaced it, inspected the rest of the system,
found several missing adjustment screws and replaced them, balanced all the
throttles, set the regular and fast idles, and replaced the choke cable.  So
now the car runs beautifully as it is supposed to do.  And I even have all
the electrics working.  What a pleasure.

Anyway, now I can think about further restoration projects rather than
repairs.  My convertible top is canvas and pretty new, but the frame which
holds it up has some surface corrosion and doesn't look as pretty as the rest
of the car.  I would like to have the canvas removed, the frame surface
prepped and repainted, and then have the top replaced.  My question is this:
In the Williams restoration book, it cautions against removing the frame from
the car in order to keep the proper shape of the frame.  I can verify that
the frame folds and unfolds smoothly right now.  But it would seem much
easier to sand and paint the frame if it were removed from the car.  What do
you think?

Thanks.

Michael Samuels
SamuelsMA@aol.com