Re: Installing new brake lines on TR250

To: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Subject: Re: Installing new brake lines on TR250
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Wed, 18 Dec 2002 16:54:04 -0500 (EST)
On Wed, 18 Dec 2002, Don Malling wrote:

> List,
>
> I plan to replace all the brake lines on my TR250. TRF sells unbent
> pipes. Is there any tool(s) I need to bend the pipes?

It might help to get a "tubing bender", but I have a better trick.

First off, bending the tubes is easy. The brake pipe material is pretty
soft (not excessively soft, but easily bendable if you have reasonable
strength in your hands).

The big problem with bending the pipe is avoiding crimping or caving in
the tube. To help make it hard to ruin the pipe, find an appropriate piece
of wire that will easily slide into the tube - then make your bend then
extract the wire. Don't try to make up all the "radius" of a bend in a
short linear distance. After you bend a couple of pipes, you'll either be
a pro or you'll realize that pipe bending is not in your future.

> Is bending the pipes difficult, and if so can anyone suggest a source
> for pre-bent pipes?

Bending is easy. But if you get hard up or you have money to burn, you can
get a set of pipes from Classic Tube for about $175 or around $200 for
stainless steel.

The Classic Tube product is very nice!

> Thanks,
>
> Don Malling

regards,
rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |