More about the GUN$T

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: More about the GUN$T
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Fri, 20 Dec 2002 12:00:32 -0800 (PST)
List---Bob Lang makes some valid comments about the reluctance of the
suppliers to stock this bearing.

.....I'm sorry to say - my opinion is that the "bad parts (whatever that
means) will be in the chain 'till they're all sold. Period. There are
plenty of folks out there (myself included) that are driven to purchase
parts on price points. I won't pay $100 for a $40 part. ... I'll bet
that they figured that they'd have to sell the Gunst setup for a lot
more than $100 and they probably also figured that this price point
would be too high for the average enthusiast (the bulk of their customer
base).
rml

Given the markup expected in the parts business, these Gunst bearings
could cost in the $150 neighborhood. This would be twice the cost of the
Koyo, (both come with the carrier sleeve) and three times the standard
bearing/sleeve. Nelson's price was without markup, at about $100.
For the Sunday driver that puts on only a couple thousand miles a year,
the extra $100 would seem overpriced. As Bob said, why pay this much for
a $40 part?  We shouldn't have to. At some point, frustration can set
in, and then the extra cost could seem worth it.

Dick