Re: Dripping pinion seal

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Dripping pinion seal
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 19:52:32 -0500
Richard,

A few thoughts. Did you grease the lip of the seal before installing? It
takes awhile for the gear oil to get up to the seal, so pre-lubrication is
warranted.

Are you sure that the flange had no groove or other imperfections? As you
know, anything other than a mirror finish will not give a perfect seal. I
just did this job and opted for a Speedi-Sleeve over the old bearing
surface. It was easy to install and cheap when you consider the labor to do
the job twice (or three times).

Finally, I put a light coating of non-hardening sealer around the seal
before pressing it home. Don't know if this area would leak anyway, but I
know it won't now.

A good seal on a good surface shouldn't leak.

Peter
'68 TR250