Re: Crankshaft Bolt?

To: Nick Gemas <gln@worldpath.net>
Subject: Re: Crankshaft Bolt?
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 11:38:58 -0500 (EST)
On Sat, 28 Dec 2002, Nick Gemas wrote:

> Hi Gang,
>     I'm fighting with the large bolt on the end of the crankshaft and I'm
> losing. Does the thing have standard threads or reverse threads? I'm using a
> chain wrench on the heavy fan extension, which  I'm trying to remove so I
> can install an electric fan but it just won't hold. Any advice??
> Nick Gemas
> gln@worldpath.net

IMPACT WRENCH.

It never fails.

The threads are fine-thread regular (lefty-loosey, righty-tighty).

Don't try holding the harmonic dampener on this operation, you might ruin
it. If you absolutely must use something to stop the crank from rotating,
try the "rope trick" of get a tool to hold the flywheel from turning.

But seriously, a 1/2" impact wrench with a 1-1/8 (impact)socket will do
the trick every time!

rml
Voice:617-253-7438    FAX: 617-258-9535        |