Fwd: mild steel headers

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Fwd: mild steel headers
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 16:26:55 EST
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Full-name: Lizirbydavis
Date: Sun, 5 Jan 2003 13:02:28 EST
Subject: mild steel headers
To: 6pack@outox.team.net

Hi folks,
I just bought an engine to tie me over while I'm rebuilding.  The motor came
with a set of headers attached.  I'm not sure of the brand, but they are one
piece, mild steel, similar to Monza or Pacesetter.  The collector pipe was
not included.  I had not really considered replacing the stock manifold, as I
had heard of difficulty with leaks, excessive heat and minimal power gains
with an essentially stock engine.  However, since it was "free", I may
reconsider, and use the header.  Can anyone speak from experience with these
"cheap" headers?  I'm not willing (at this point) to spend $400+ for a set of
quality stainless steel from TRF etc...  Will I have trouble finding the
appropriate collector to dump into a single pipe exhaust?  I've heard that
the mild steel Monza system is too loud, and rusts out pretty quick.  Would I
be better off using the stock single outlet manifold, and spending my money
on a quality stainless steel system?  This is for a  71street car.
Joe Davis