Re: County Brand and Quinton Hazell Parts

To: <6pack-digest@autox.team.net>, <c_davies@sympatico.ca>
Subject: Re: County Brand and Quinton Hazell Parts
From: "Karl Vacek" <KVacek@Ameritech.net>
Date: Sat, 15 Mar 2003 05:45:46 -0600
"CLIFF  DAVIES" <c_davies@sympatico.ca> wrote...

> I noticed a lot of County boxes and QH - Quentin Hazel at my local TR parts
> place.  I know that County makes or distributes shocks and motor parts for
> TR6's probably others I'm sure. Where are they from UK? Can anyone give
> me some background?  I am just too curious, parts guy sells tons of the
> County brand pistons and says engine rebuilders seem to like them?

I too am curious.  In 1971 - 1973, whenever I needed parts for my 1971 TR6, my
A-H 100-6 EP race car, my MGTC, or later for my wife's '69 MG Midget, most
parts dealers (and the Triumph/BMC dealer as in well many instances) would
often have a Quinton Hazell part as one of his alternatives.  Bases upon his
recommendation, I bought these parts a few times, and was invariably
disappointed,  They'd usually fit one way or another , but would often be
loose, leaky, or not include all the parts needed to complete the operation.
Kingpins didn't fit, water pumps leaked from new, throwout bearings squealed
within a week or 10 days, cam chains either didn't fit or else they stretched
out to useless almost immediately, etc., etc.  I learned NEVER to buy any
Quinton Hazell unless it was a dire emergency and I didn't mind knowing that
I'd be doing the same job over again as soon I had located a proper dealer
part or a good-branded replacement.  In fact, I'd skip a rece weekend if the
only part I coulkd get was Q-H.

They're still around, so I assume they must have improved, or else there must
still be sufficient numbers of non-particular customers out there.  Which is
it -- are they good parts now ??

Thanks !
Karl Vacek
'68 TR250