Carb needles

To: 6pack list <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Carb needles
From: Peter Macholdt <vze2846b@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 20 Mar 2003 22:37:13 -0500
I'm reassembling the carbs on my 250 and just checked the needles. They are
labeled B1AF and, according to the Haynes manual, are the right needles for
a TR6. The proper needles for my 250 are B2Y. I have a set of B2Ys in my
extra parts box. I'm wondering if it is worth the effort to switch them for
the B1AF needles. If yes, how do I separate the needle from the brass
carrier? Does that cross-pin push out from either end, or pull out from the
top?

FWIW, the carbs look like they came from a '73 TR6. They are not the stock
carbs for sure.

While I'm here, what is the easiest way to detect wear on the needles? Can I
see it, do I need to use my calipers, or is there another way? I checked the
jet and it looks round. Is wear on the jet easy to spot?

Thanks,
Peter
'68 TR250 (frame welding is still not done!)