RE: On The Road Again

To: "'Trumpet76TR6@cs.com'" <Trumpet76TR6@cs.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: On The Road Again
From: "Vink, Graham" <vinkg@fleishman.com>
Date: Wed, 2 Apr 2003 08:20:57 -0600
Congratulations on your purchase! I would suggest replacing all the metal
brake lines, since they've probably been rusting away from the inside. Also,
when you try to remove the rubber brake hoses, you'll probably wind up
stripping the various fittings on the lines anyway.

Your clutch hydraulics are also probably dubious, too.

When you adjust the valves, you might see if there's a bunch of sludge in
the top end of the engine ... If so, you might also want to pull the oil pan
and clean it out, make sure the oil pump screen isn't blocked, etc.

When you're doing the rear brakes, make sure the springs for the brake shoes
are in decent shape, along with the little rods/clips that hold the shoes in
place. Also, the rear brake adjusters are likely to be frozen, so check them
when you're taking apart everything else.

The carbs are likely to be gunked up from old gasoline. At a minimum, I'd
pull off the bases and inspect/clean the floats and the needle valve. If the
floatsw don't float or the needle valves get stuck open, there's a
significant risk of fire hazard and/or diluted oil from leaking gasoline.
And I'd make sure to replace all the rubber fuel lines (and make sure
they're for fuel!) Also, the rubber diaphragms at the top of the carbs are
likely to be stiff and will fail with use.

Most important thing to prevent you from killing yourself is to make sure
the brakes work, including the trusty handbrake. Be aware that it's not
unusual for clutch/brakes to work OK for a while after a long layoff, but
then fail fairly abruptly because the seals fail.

Good luck.

Graham