RE: Koil Konfusion

To: "Kronberg, Peter" <Peter.Kronberg@hp.com>, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Koil Konfusion
From: John Korsak <jkorsak@heath-bloxom.com>
Date: Wed, 02 Apr 2003 13:26:02 -0600
I installed the Pertronix system in my 74 TR 2 years ago.  It has worked
fine.    You will need to run a wire from the fuse box to the red wire off
the Pertronix for 12 V off of the ignition circuit(terminal with green wires
coming off of it).  You will also need to run the black wire off of the
Pertronix to the Neg side of the coil.  I then used the white wire with the
yellow stripe to provide 12 V to the + side of the coil. This wire was
originally used to provide the 12 V only while the starter was engaged.
Therefore you will need to disconnect the other end of this wire from the
starter relay and connect it to 12 V.  The starter relay is positioned next
to the fuse box.
The UIP is a noise suppression condenser. It is there to eliminate the
"radio frequency (RF)" noise caused by the points and spark plugs.  Some
people say that you would no longer need it when you change to Pertronix,
but I kept mine in place.
I believe that you do have a ballast system.  I think that all cars after 73
went to this system.  On my car there WAS a wire that came out of the wiring
harness near the alternator to the coil.  It was wrapped with a fiberglass
woven material to prevent heat damage to the other wires in the harness.  I
simply cut this wire at the harness, since the white wire supplied the 12 V
to the coil and the new wire supplied the 12 V to the Pertronix module.

John Korsak
74 TR 6
CF25165UO