Re: Thrust washer

To: ms6453@optonline.net (Mitchel Seff)
Subject: Re: Thrust washer
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 16:22:34 -0700 (PDT)
Mitch---I wouldn't be too concerned that you are able to get the extra
.001 when (forcefully) levering the crank back and forth. I have found
this very same thing. I attributed this to an accumulation of air gaps,
oil, and the relatively small surfaces of these washers that made for
this springiness.

The .0025 clearance you are seeing is probably OK, but it IS getting
down there. If you would be more comfortable with an extra .001, take
out one of the thrust washers and rub the "steel" side against some
emery paper on a good, flat surface. "Paint" the surface beforehand so
you know that the metal is  coming off evenly. Mic-ing as you go, It
won't take much to remove it.

This is not one of those fussy tolerances. If you end up with .005 +/-
.002 you shouldn't have to make a revisit for a looong time.

Dick