Rear bump stop removal

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Rear bump stop removal
From: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 15:21:10 +0000
Hi Steve,

To get the bump stops I've always used a very large set of vice grips or an
oversized set of pliers (I mean BIG).  The only trick is the careful
placement of the vice grips on the bottom-most part of the bump-stop, which
is metal and rigidly attached to the stud.  They use standard threads, so
turn in the direction that you are accustomed to.  I just did one last
night.  If the car is together you can only turn about 1/8 turn at most, so
it takes a while (patience) but I've not been able to get on off that way.
If you don't have a big enough set of vice grips you have to go buy one
because a set of vice grips that are too small will only frustrate the hell
out of you.  And on tip: be extra careful when removing the one on the swing
arm, as you can easily tear up the soft alloy of the swing arm if the vice
grips are too low .

Good luck,
Dave
1969 TR6 and nothing else