Re: Redlines

To: jtarnow@lehman.com, 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Redlines
From: TR250Driver@aol.com
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 20:19:50 EDT
Hi,
I am going to have to jump in on this one with what is probably a minority
opinion. I may stir up some trouble.  I like Michelin X Redlines!  I think
they are right for the TR250 & TR6.  I have been running them on both my
TR250 & TR6 for so many years that I am actually wearing them out.  Now these
are the new manufacture Michelins, yes the ones that cost $200 each when you
can get them. I have been told that they are made with a modern rubber
compound far superior to the original Michelin non-X that came on the cars.
Still hard mind you but all Michelin tires are hard.  OK they squeal around
tight turns but to me that is part of the experience of driving a vintage
automobile. I have never put either car in the ditch even in the wet and I
drive them hard.

My TR250 has even done pretty well in autocross, running in stock class with
60 spoke wires and Michelin X Redlines 185-70-15. OK it is usually second or
third to a cars running fat, sticky tires but to me it is a victory to do it
competing with the real vintage equipment. I think they should change the
rules and not allow fat tires in stock classes.

Off the autocross course and on the road I simply do not like the "LOOK" of
the 205 or larger tires on Triumph cars meant to run 185's.  Too much tire
for the car if you ask me. Unless you have extensive modifications, like a V6
under the hood, it's a waste on the road at somewhat legal limits.  Well,
lets say at speeds that will get you tickets but not immediately thrown in
jail.

Not to mention the absence of the characteristic "REDLINES" that set the cars
apart from lets say MGA's or Mustangs. This is a distinguishing feature of
the TR250 and TR6, a True Classic Sportscar, and ought to have some respect.
Goodyear G-800 Redlines are cool too!

Cheers,
Darrell Floyd
68 TR250
71 TR6      (Flame Retardant Suit In Place)