accelerator pedal position

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: accelerator pedal position
From: Lizirbydavis@cs.com
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 21:56:55 EDT
 I get a cramp in my right leg after driving for a while, so  I'm trying to
maximize leg room as much as possible (I'm 6'1" and I want to keep my 15'"
moto lita wheel).  The back of my seat is already jammed against the wheel
arch.  I'm trying to move the gas pedal as close to the floor as possible and
still get the right amount of throttle opening.  I tried repositioning the
lever on the accelerator cross shaft so I could get the pedal a little closer
to the floor, but moving the pedal much beyond the same level as the brake
and clutch pedals keeps the throttle from opening 100%. Should I assume that
the throttle plate must be completely horizontal to get max power? I rarely
have the pedal to the floor, so the throttle plate is rarely truly
horizontal.  Can the pedal stop that is attached to the floor be adjusted or
removed to give more pedal travel?  Mine has a double nut on it, so it seems
like it should be adjustable, but is frozen.   I've considered pulling out
the pedal and cross shaft unit, sawing off the pedal and rewelding the pedal
so that it lies closer to the floor, but that seems too drastic.  Any ideas?
Joe Davis