RE: Need help with TR6 S. number

To: "Jeff M" <cajunairman@yahoo.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Need help with TR6 S. number
From: "Eric Conrad" <conrade2@msn.com>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 2003 14:17:37 -0600
Jeff,

Unfortunately, you need another number than the two you provided to
determine when the TR6 was commissioned.  The two serial numbers you
identify should be on the passenger side of the car (assuming it's a
left-hand steer TR6), in the engine bay.  One is the body serial number, and
the other is a build number of some sort.  The fact that one is painted and
the other is not is accurate and correct.  One was put on prior to painting,
and the other was put on after.

The actual commission number (assuming it is a late TR6), should be on the
left-hand side of the car.  It can be seen when the left-hand door is open.

Once you can provide the proper commission number, many of us can open our
"originality" books and give you a rough estimate of build date.  Actual
build dates and a build record can be purchased from the British Motor
Heritage in Great Britain.  They have a web page that several of us can
provide if you require that.  If memory serves, the cost for these build
records are approximately $40 US dollars.

Sincerely,
Eric Conrad
'76 TR6  (CF52678U)
'62 TR4 (CT18198LO)

I finally got a chance to go look at the TR6 my
co-worker has up in storage.  It's actually pretty
solid looking.  I checked in the areas that I thought
would be a rust problem.  Very straight, and the paint
was in pretty good shape.  The engine compartment is
another story.  The interior was in real good shape
too since he was using some seat covers to sit on.  My
question to the list is, why would there be two serial
numbers fastened to the firewall?  The two numbers
were 40279CF and 42213CF.  The weird thing is that the
402 number was in a raw metal finish and the later
number was painted over.  The main thing I was trying
to determine if this in fact is the third to last TR6
made.  He found this out supposedly years ago when he
called Leyland for support on something and the lady
he was talking to informed him that it was the third
to last one produced.  Any help appreciated.