Re: Gearbox problem?

To: jnorth@novagate.com
Subject: Re: Gearbox problem?
From: Trumpet76TR6@cs.com
Date: Sat, 21 Jun 2003 10:49:39 EDT
In a message dated 6/21/2003 5:39:28 AM US Mountain Standard Time,
jnorth@novagate.com writes:
> Something unnoticed in the inspection... Got a problem with gear
> selection...   Engine cold, easy start, no problem.   Engine warm (not so
> easy start, but that's another story), gear select problem.   I cannot
> select any gear -1 2,3,4 R, no good.   Let off the clutch reselect a gear,
> still won't go.   Maybe after a couple more clutch engage-disengage I can
> bang it into reverse (ouch).   At this point, it seems that the clutch is
> not fully disengaged, because the car starts moving even before I engage the
> clutch.   After I got reverse, clutch is smooth, first is no problem and
> we're off.   No problem in normal driving, all gears smooth and easy
>
> Any clues where to start?

     I would bleed the clutch through the bleeder screw under the car on the
clutch slave cylinder.  While you are under there, (just inches away) you can
adjust the amount of throw the clutch will have by putting the pin in a
different hole on the clutch slave linkage.  Have someone stroke the clutch
pedal
while you are under there to figure out which direction to put the pin in to
increase the opening of the clutch disc gap when the clutch pedal is pressed.
It
sounds like your pressure plate isn't opening up enough to let the clutch
disc quit spinning.  Hope this makes sense.
  Ken,   AZ,  76TR6