Re: Ballast resistor question

To: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Ballast resistor question
From: "Mark Anderton" <andertonm@cox.net>
Date: Mon, 30 Jun 2003 18:50:43 -0400
The ballast resistor reduces the amount of current flowing through the
points and coil.  Advantages include less pitting of the points and cooler
coil operation.  If you check the voltage drop across the coil when the
points are closed, you will get a reading of about 6 volts, which means the
other six is being dropped across the ballast resistor.  In some cars, the
resistor is a special wire, in others, it's a ceramic rectangle that has
connections on each end for supply (ignition) and coil.  You can buy this
type of resistor at most auto parts stores.  Most ignition systems with
ballast resistors have a system for bypassing the resistor when the starter
motor is cranking, providing 12 V to the coil to start.

Mark Anderton
72 TR6
Virginia Beach
http://members.cox.net/andertonm/car_stuff.html