Wheels, Wheels, Wheels

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Wheels, Wheels, Wheels
From: Acekraut11@aol.com
Date: Thu, 03 Jul 2003 00:26:50 -0400
Hi List,
I have seen quite a bit of discussion relative to max tire size and best tire
brand for the six, but havent found any information in regards to the following.
Here is my situation.  My six came with wire wheels and 185/15 tires.  The wire
wheels look nice, but the tires leave a lot to be desired.  I have been given a
couple of Goodyear Eagle GT 185/70 HR15 tires that are in great shape.  The
problem is that I can find any tires out there in the same size.  So I thought
I would just bump up to the next size 195/70 and put them on the rear.  Well, I
cant find that size either.  The closest I can find is 195/65.  What are the
lists thoughts on 195/65's on the rear, with 185/70's on the front?  I am not
familiar at all with inner tubes.  Will I be able to use the current inner
tubes with these new tire sizes, or will I need to find different size
innertubes?  And what tire size is the maximum that should be used with the 15
X 5.5 wire wheel.  I am trying to come close in matching the tread pattern of
the Goodyear GT's with the new tires.  Is this a legitimate concern or does it
really matter other than aesthetics?
Do wire wheels have vastly different performance limitations as compared to
steel or alloy wheels?  I am contemplating purchasing alloy wheels for the car.
 Panasports are obviously a popular choice with the six.  What other non-wire
and non-steel wheel choices have people made?  I am not sure if I could find a
modern wheel that I would feel would look right with the classic style of the
TR6 but can these modern wheels be made to fit the bolt pattern of the six?
Has anyone looked into, or actually installed larger than 16" wheels on their
TR6?  Sorry for the large number of questions, but as you might gather, I am
somewhat ignorant, and quite a bit undecided as to which direction I should go
in.  Certainly another option is to just install the two Goodyear Eagle GT's on
the rear and keep the 185/15's on the front but that just doesnt look right.
Any and all assistance would be appreciated.
Aaron CropleyTopsham, Maine71 TR6