Re: Let rebuilt engine sit?

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Let rebuilt engine sit?
From: Mark Riddle <dunamis6@juno.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jul 2003 22:54:47 -0400
Bud,
I certainly would not want to do it on purpose, but in my situation,
because of changes in my housing arrangement, my rebuild sat for 3 years
before cranking.
I did put a bit of engine oil into all cylinders and rotate the crank by
hand every couple of months. I also had tape masking off the intake and
exhaust ports, along with a spritz of liquid wrench or other penetrant
into each port, before taping.
In addition, I primed the oil pump by removing the distributor drive
gear, and driving the pump with a 1/2" slotted shaft (note-drill running
in reverse), before storage, and just prior to cranking up for the first
time.
Blank off all the water holes too.

I do not think it is such a great idea to run on the bench before
storage, mainly because it is harder to run sufficiently to warm up-cam
break-in is more difficult. It is difficult to "load" the engine in order
to "seat" the rings, without being able to apply some sort of "engine
braking", as in downhill run with foot off the gas.

You "may" be able to go one year, but you get some other opinions before
you make up your mind.

I believe I was very fortunate in my case, as my engine fired up after
about 2 rotations of the crank, after the three year "aging" process.
In the end you have to do what is best for you.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Hope this has helped, and Good Luck,

Mark Riddle
"72 TR6 alive and kicking in Asheville NC