Re: TR6 Cyl. Head O-Rings

To: Charly Mitchel <charly@mitchelplumbing.com>
Subject: Re: TR6 Cyl. Head O-Rings
From: "Robert M. Lang" <lang@isis.mit.edu>
Date: Mon, 28 Jul 2003 11:01:16 -0400 (EDT)
On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, Charly Mitchel wrote:

> Robert, are you not decking the block?

I did not deck the block. At the top of the stroke, the pistons are even
with the deck. The block is flat, so no material was removed.

To cut down to get rid of the recess, I would have had the pistons
standing clear of the block by more than .020 (if I recall correctly).

I think this is why many builders use the early blocks, it's a lot easier
to get a flat surface when you start off completely flat.

:-)

> It seems to me you won't know those
> measurements until you measure your pistons and shave the surfaces.  You may
> also have shaved enough of the block to remove the recess's and would than
> just use the standard copper gasket.

Nope - I'd have to get rid of a lot of material to get rid of the recess.

This is a job for some steel rings. Perhaps my use of the term "o-ring"
was not well chosen.

> Charly

regards,
rml