Universal Joints

To: "TR6 list" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Universal Joints
From: "Curt Hoffman" <choffman9@cinci.rr.com>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 12:48:53 -0500
In the -6 I just bought there was an ominous (sp?) clunk when shifting coming
from the rear. I crawled under the car and have discovered the right side
outer (next to the wheel) universal joint has a lot of play. It actually does
a little ellipticle path when you turn the wheel. This appears the be the
source of the clunk although there is some play in the rearend itself as well.

I haven't had a chance to hunt up the shop manual yet although that is my
first priority project. In the meantime, I was wondering what the thoughts
were on how complex it is to get at those outer universal joints. It appears I
might have to remove the bolts holding the flange to the suspension but am not
sure. Thought I would get some idea of what I am in for and if I have all the
necessary tools. I've done universals before but they were always just drive
shaft ones and easy to get to.

Thanks

Curt Hoffman
RV-9A wings done for now- working on tail / QB fuselage on it's way
Piper Cherokee N5320W