Idle challenges

To: 6pack@autox.team.net, triumphs@autox.team.net
Subject: Idle challenges
From: Mickylong@aol.com
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 17:47:23 EDT
I finally got to reinstall elements on my 6 to the point of tuning and
balancing the carbs and find myself where I was about a month ago -- with idle
challenges.  Here's what happens.  With choke out car starts fine, idles fast
(about 1500 - 2000.) After warm-up with choke in idle drops to about 1000.
Setting
idle less than that causes car to stall.  At any point, if I depress throttle
fast, I get a flat spot (instant stall).  If I increase revs to about 3,000
slowly it seems OK but then as revs come back down car wants to stall.

Here's what I have and have done:

Carbs rebuilt (by me); new gaskets and diaphragms only; needle valves looked
like new Grose Jets so I didn't replace.  By using Color Tune I get generally
blue reading. Plugs seem to read right (tan vs. black). Carb bypass valves
have been blocked by solid gaskets.  I did try spraying carb cleaner at both
output shaft locations and got a slight increase in revs at front carb.  Don't
know how severe this might be.

Vacuum line from rear carb has been blocked as dist. retard didn't seem to
work.  Timing set approx 18 BTDC.  Fuel pump is new. Points set to .15.  New
cap
and rotor.

Any ideas or places to start?

Micky Long, Atlanta