Re: Laycock P. Plate Rebuilding

To: triumphs@autox.team.net, 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Laycock P. Plate Rebuilding
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Sun, 10 Aug 2003 19:52:07 -0400
British Parts Northwest sells rebuilt Laycock pressure plates. I plan to
use one in my TR250. I will use it with a new B&B clutch disk and a
Gunst T/O bearing.

I had a bad experience with a rebuilt clutch in an '87 Taurus Wagon and
swore I would never use a rebuilt clutch again, but BPNW swore up and
down I would not have trouble with this pressure plate. BPNW says these
were all tested and passed inspection.

I read some years back that there was a lot of trouble with after market
rebuilt clutch disks and brake pads but I had the impression the
friction material was the problem.

I would be very very interested in hearing some feedback on the
reliability of rebuilt pressure plates.

I'm going with the Laycock because it has straight fingers. I'm using
the Gunst T/O bearing and he recommends against the B&B with bent
fingers, although several folks at 6pack have had success with the B&B
bent fingers and the Gunst.

I could not find an Luk pressure plate (straight fingers) in time to
meet the machinist's schedule, although I think I have located one now
from a 6pack member.

More on the Laycock Pressure Plate

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/clutch-laycock.html

Again, I would be very interested in some comments on using rebuilt
pressure plates (with NEW clutch disk).

Don Malling