RE: Suspension rebuild

To: "Don Malling" <dmallin@attglobal.net>, "6-Pack"
Subject: RE: Suspension rebuild
From: "Stephen Hanselman" <tr6@kc4sw.com>
Date: Mon, 18 Aug 2003 07:49:47 -0700
Don,

If nobody has suggested a source yet try Apple Hydraulics for the Lever
Shock rebuild.  The folks there were very nice and their product looked (yes
and even works) great.

On the bushings, I cut mine out with a sawzall, knife, and then beat on it
with a hammer.  Putting them in I tried several methods (messing up two
bushings) until I came to a mod of something described on the list.  I used
threaded rod (to fit) some big washers and a piece of schedule 40 pipe.  The
pipe kept the bushing form expanding to much as it went into the mount.
Liberal amounts of Silicon Lubricant was also used.  I should also say I
installed the original rubber style bushings and that this was rear end
only.

If you are taking the rear end down completely, I would look very carefully
at the 6 studs on the trailing arm.  They are fine thread in Aluminum and
have a tendency to pull out (see www.kc4sw.com/triumph_winter02.htm for a
picture).  I went ahead and helicoiled all of the studs, not to tough a job
and I think it's cheap insurance.

I will follow anything you post closely because the front end is this
winters project.

Thanks

Steve
tr6@kc4sw.com