Clunk Diagnostics

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Clunk Diagnostics
From: <c_davies@sympatico.ca>
Date: Tue, 19 Aug 2003 10:15:38 -0400
I had the chance to check for the dreaded clunk that I thought I was rid of
while the car was on a lift having the oil changed. Here is what I know, the
diff mount points have been welded and reinforced,
half shaft U-joints changed. While holding the diff axle flange steady and
moving the wheel there is some play and clunking coming
from the axle splines on the right side much more than the left. While I rotate
the wheels freely in both directions in quick small left/right directions it
seems there is a small clunk?? from the diff. What would be the best way to
find where the problem is?
Are splined shafts available new?
Thanks
Cliff