Re: Laycock or Borg n Beck ?

To: Pat Leask <pleask@shaw.ca>, 6-Pack <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Laycock or Borg n Beck ?
From: Don Malling <dmallin@attglobal.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Aug 2003 00:44:55 -0400
Hi Pat,

Gunst recommends the Luk, and strongly recommends against the B&B with
bent fingers. Both Nelson and Dick Taylor have had good success with the
B&B with Bent fingers and the Gunst T/O bearing. My understanding is
that they believe there is not a problem with the B&B bent fingers
because the Gunst bearing is small enough to not touch the bend of the
fingers. Gunst agrees with Nelson and Dick in that he sees no reason why
the B&B bent fingers would cause a problem with his bearing but
maintains that it does on occasion. He is strong in his opinion to not
use the B&B with bent fingers. He also said even thought the Luk was
harder to depress (see Nelson's article), no customer's wife has ever
complained about the Luk -- FWIW. Some have suggested the clutch fork
should be cross drilled with an extra bolt because of the stronger
pressure of the Luk.

Brent Kiser wrote the following article at VTR which attributes all the
TR6, TR250 clutch problems to the clutch pressure plate, blames it all
on the B&B with bent fingers, and recommends a rebuilt Laycock (really
NOS Laycock but fat chance finding one). BPNW sells the rebuilt Laycock.
BPNW swears up and down that they have had no problems with their
rebuilt Laycocks. BPNW says their rebuilt Laycocks are tested. They are
marked as being tested FWIW.

http://www.vtr.org/maintain/clutch-laycock.html

Brent also acknowledges that Nelson's article at Buckeye triumphs does
not necessarily agree with his findings. Nelson sees the problem as the
throwout bearing and recommends the Gunst.

Nelson's article:
http://www.buckeyetriumphs.org/technical/Clutch/ReliableClutch/ReliableClutch.htm

Roger Williams recommends a rebuilt Laycock.

I first tried to get an Luk from TRF (backordered...what else) so I went
with the BPNW rebuilt Laycock. I am shy about rebuilt clutches but have
come to believe the problem is "probably" with inferior friction disk
material rather than the pressure plate. I'm using a new B&B clutch
disk, but I'm sure a high quality clutch disk can be rebuilt if correct
materials are used.

I'm just trying to play all the odds... I guess we shall see. No one
seems the recommend against a rebuilt Laycock so that's what I'm doing.

Don Malling

Pat Leask wrote:
 > Hello all !
 >
 > I hope you don't mind me asking you all a question, I'll not make it a
 > habbit out side of the "6pack" group. But as we have all orderd a GUNST
 > bearing I assume that we all have the same problem, so what better
group to
 > ask a question of ? <G>
 >
 > The GUNST bearing is going in to my TVR 2500M (TR6 motor). I have a
new (one
 > year old at best) Borg n Beck presure plate in the car now. I also
have in
 > my box of goodies down stairs an old Laycock pressure plate in fairly
good
 > condition, no great but very usable (Fingers show some wear).
 >
 > In all my reading months back I read an artical (Probably Nelson or
Randall