Pressure plate remanufacturers

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Pressure plate remanufacturers
From: "TR6 Triumph" <tr6_1969@hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 29 Aug 2003 18:22:37 +0000
Hi All,

I've maintained my Dad's 1975 TR6, restoring most of the ancillary
mechanicals over the past decade and a half while it sat patiently.
Yesterday, for the first time in 15 years, he drove the car, and took it on
a 80 mile trip to the beach.  I was so happy.

The next tiem I return to the USA I'm likely going to replace the clutch in
it for him.

Over the past months I've thoroughly read all about pressure plates on all
sites (countless times) and read all posts.  My understanding is that the
actuating force required on any given pressure plate reduces with age/use.
Is this a safe assumption to make?  (With the exception of the LUK,
according to the Buckeye's site), which I wouldn't consider because it has
the highest force requirement and I don't want that for my Dad.  His motor
is also stock and he drives conservatively.  I don't want him to get tired
from driving it; I want him to enjoy the car, now that he has actually
driven it.)

And according to Buckeye's site, the remanufactured old-style Borg & Beck
unit has a far lower actuating force than the new new-style Borg & Beck
units and even the used Laycock.  Before I was as informed as I am now, I
had purchased him a rebuilt old-style Borg & Beck, thinking it would be as
close to a new Laycock as possible.  But this no longer seems to be the
case.

I have a recently installed new new-style Borg & Beck in my 1969 TR6 (yes
with the 0.75" MC) but it seems so much firmer than his car that I wouldn't
even consider it for him.  Actually i don't prefer it for myself but feel I
"need" it as my motor a bit more power than stock.  So, next I though of
reusing the existing pressure plate that's in his car when I replace his
clutch if it is a Laycock but i'm concerned that it has softened too much.
The clutch pedal is extremely light and the clutch has begun to slip under
very hard take offs.  Is there anyone that rebuilds Laycock pressure plates?
  And separately, are used old-style Borg & Beck units worth anything?  Is
it worth saving them? Do they still rebuild them?  And if so, who is "they"?

I'm getting ready for my first trip in my 1969 TR6 in 17 years (southeast PA
to Washington D.C.- 100 miles), that is if it doesn't rain!!   It's not
looking promising at the moment.  Wish me luck.

Sincerely,
Dave Herbert