Horn problem - hoping to end my saga

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Horn problem - hoping to end my saga
From: "Michael Corbitt" <Michael_Corbitt@ous.edu>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:09:23 -0700
Sorry to continue to labor on this horn issue with everyone.  I have truly
valued the input I have received to date.

In checking my horn connection, I have continuity from the horn all the way to
the wire brush.  However at this point something doesn't seem right.

If I connect a wire to the end of the horn brush and touch the other end of the
wire to the threaded steering column, nothing happens.  However if I touch the
end of the wire to the edge of the steering column cowl the horn beeps.

In taking everyone's input, reviewing the available diagrams in all my TR
catalogs (plus Dan Masters book) and following the mechanics of how the horn
seems to function, the conclusion I drew is that the connecting link that beeps
the horn goes something like this.  The horn button pushes the brush against
the slip ring and at the same time grounds against the side the steering wheel
which is bolted onto the steering column which is grounded down near the
steering rack on the left side of the car, and bingo, you have a connection.

However, if I lean in real hard on the bottom side of the steering wheel (which
brings the steering wheel in contact with the steering column cowl) the horn
will beep.  Is this a symptom of the bearing assembly (or some other insulator)
in the steering column that is not functioning properly?

I would appreciate any input to help me fill in the blanks and solve this
problem.

Mike