RE: Wheel Shimmy

To: <Acekraut11@aol.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Wheel Shimmy
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Wed, 10 Sep 2003 10:27:22 -0700
        Aaron:

        Did you replace the shock? My Toyota Celica had a seemingly incurable
front end shimmy (balancing didn't help, swapping tires didn't help)
that was a result of insufficient damping in the front struts. When I
finally had the front shocks replaced in desperation, problem solved.
        If this corner of the car had a problem, then the
shock would have collapsed along with everything else. May have ruptured
an internal seal, and resulted in little or no damping from that shock.
        One other idea; You say the bearings are "snug". Did you set them
according to Bentley? I feel that Bentley is wrong, and that the castle
nut should NOT be backed off one flat from finger tight. More food for
thought.

        Just my $0.0002 as always....

        Vance