RE: Refinish Dash

To: "John North" <jnorth@novagate.com>,
Subject: RE: Refinish Dash
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2003 08:18:18 -0700
        John:

        Having just gone through this, here is what I did.

        The dash is French walnut, and is not stained. You can use stripper,
but I used an orbital sander w/220 grit to completely remove the old veneer,
as it was cracked in many places, and delaminating in others.
        I repaired the plywood as needed (glued, filled, sanded, etc.)
I bought a can of cheap brown spray enamel and put 4 coats on the back to
seal and protect the plywood.
     I then used 24 hour epoxy and attached a new layer of veneer
(about $5 from a local woodworking supply shop). I put a rotary file
in my drill, and GENTLY routed the instrument openings to get the
edges of the new veneer even with the edges.
        A light sanding, then 6 coats of spar varnish (matte finish, to
match the finish on my 74) with light sanding with 400 grit in between
the last few coats. I thinned the final coat of varnish with paint
thinner, so that it would level more completely.
        My first wood working project, and it turned out halfway decent,
I think. The spar varnish is nice, as it is extremely tough and resists
UV (It is used in Marine applications).
        I get compliments on how nice my interior turned out (New seat covers
from Moss, new carpet, etc).

        FWIW.

        Vance