Re: overheating issue

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: overheating issue
From: Timothy Holbrook <tjh173@yahoo.com>
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2003 11:08:21 -0800 (PST)
A quick addition here.  I forgot about vacuum retard (I don't have it,
nor the advance, hooked up on my car).  If you use the vacuum retard
(it's not really necessary anymore in most places since our cars are
old enough to be exempt from emissions testing) then you should check
the dyamic testing (after the static), with the retard hooked up, to
make sure the retard is working properly.  Also, retarding the ignition
will get the engine hot, so Triumph put in a bypass on later cars to
compensate for this (when the coolant gets too hot, the vacuum signal
gets interrupted by the switch and the retard drops off).  However, I
believe you said you have a 72, so your car doesn't have this bypass.
I would recommend running without the vacuum retard unless you need it
for emissions testing (make sure you plug the carb connection for this
line so that you don't get a vacuum leak).

Tim Holbrook