RE: OEM shift knobs

To: "'6 List'" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: OEM shift knobs
From: Peter Zaborski <plz@shaw.ca>
Date: Fri, 02 Jan 2004 08:40:49 -0700
Funny this should come up...I actually tried to convert my TR6 to a shift
knob mounted OD switch a few years ago. I got all the parts (shift knob,
switch, hollow shifter from a donor car, spare TR6 shifter to use for the
bottom part of the grafted shifter, etc.). I gave up once I discovered that
the angle of the TR6 shifter is such that, if you were to have a switch on
the top of the shift knob, the required angle of the wrist would have made
the OD switch motion very awkward indeed. It turns out that most cars I've
seen which have the shift knob switch (MGB & TVR come to mind) have a very
upright angle to the shifter. The TR6 shifter is too "leaned over" IMO.

My original reason for wanting to do the conversion, apart from the fact I'd
never seen it on a TR6 and I thought it would be a neat mod, was that I
thought the column mounted switch was a prime target for getting broken off
at some point. It just kinda sticks way out there. Well that's what I
thought at the time anyway.

After the aborted attempt at converting, I actually grew to like the column
mounted OD switch. I think ergonomically it's very well placed for shifting
in and out of OD while keeping both hands on the wheel. Sort of a pre-cursor
to the F1 style paddle shifters ala the 360 Modena, M3. et al. Ok, maybe
that's a stretch, but you know what I mean :)

Peter Zaborski -- CF58310 UO

PS -- I agree with Jim, I'm not aware of any TR series cars which had a
stock OD switch in the shift knob.