More DPO war stories...

To: "6-Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: More DPO war stories...
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Fri, 9 Jan 2004 11:05:43 -0800
        Lads:

        Well, as I mentioned previously, the motor is done, so it
is going to be sitting on the engine stand until the tranny is
overhauled and the OD is installed.
        I started on the tranny last night, just puttering
mainly since I can only work for an hour or two in the evenings
on the 6, and I can't get too far into it.
        I had pulled the tranny at the same time as the motor, and
set it in the corner to await my machinations. Plopped it on the
workbench last night, and spent a few minutes cleaning all the goo
from inside the bell housing. Next, I attempt to dismantle the
clutch fork.
        First discovery; Broken clutch fork pin, no surprise. I had
already purchased a new pin in anticipation of this.
        Second discovery; DPO had 'repaired' the broken pin by
welding the fork to the cross shaft (welds were hidden by dirt on
the cross shaft). Ack.
        Third discovery; The welding was so bad that the fork still
moved on the shaft, rocking back and forth by 5-10 degrees. The DPO
not only knew nothing about LBCs, he knew nothing about welding. Why
am I not surprised?
        All I can say is the DPO was a real dink when it came to
working on this car. Upside down head gaskets, incorrect intake
gaskets, used cam lifters grinding off cam lobes, etc. Whew! So,
out came the hacksaw, and I sawed off the end of the cross
shaft to get it out and then ordered all new parts.
        The good news is that the gears, cones, and synchros are
absolutely pristine! So even a loser like me gets a little good
fortune every now and then. Shift forks are perfect too, so I am
hoping that the lay shaft and lay gear cluster will likewise need no
work. After what I have found to date, I half expected to see sawdust
packed inside tranny.

        That's it for now.

        Cheers,

        Vance