Trunnions: Grease or Oil?

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trunnions: Grease or Oil?
From: Brian Yarborough <bytr6@frontiernet.net>
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2004 15:49:37 -0500
Hi all;

Before I got my TR-6, I had a '67 MK.3 Spifire (before I was rear-ended by a
fool in a Chevy S1500 who was reading AND tailgaiting). On the Spit list
there was a lot about this topic. The general agreement was that with grease
it tended: 1. to dry out; 2. it didn't get into all the treads on the
trunnion; 3. it kept grit particles in suspension and could quuickly grind
the soft brass down.

The problem with oil was getting it into the trunnions. One could fill a
spare grease gun, very messy; or find a gun made for the stuff. Most Marine
supply stores sell a gun that uses 80/90 wt hypoid oil. It is very easy to
then fill the trunnions with the oil, without making a mess.

Just my $0.02.

Brian Yarborough
1976 TR-6
CF55886UO