Free Revs

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Free Revs
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Tue, 20 Jan 2004 13:53:14 -0800 (PST)
List---The question came up among a few of us as to whether it is
advisable to rev a motor up near redline, when the motor is "unloaded".
I had thought this was not a good idea, but had no particular law of
physics to back it up. I consulted two of my favorite people about this,
and got two sort of different answers. Here's what Dennis Simaniatis
(R&T) and Kas Kastner have to say:

From: EngEd@aol.com Date: Tue, Jan 20, 2004, 4:08pm (PST+3) To:
tr6taylor@webtv.net Subject: Fwd: Motor Revving (From Kas Kastner, via
Dennis S

Hello, Dick,
 Just in case, here's Kas' original message.
 Dennis
From:    "kas kastner" To:    <EngEd@aol.com> Subject:
Re: Motor Revving Date:    Tue, Jan 20, 2004,

The way and thing I was taught by respected hot rodders of the time was
that a high rev unloaded was just that, UNLOADED, meaning that things
were free to "wander" LIKE PISTONS AND RINGS AND ROD SIDE PLAY, THUS IN
A DIFFERENT PATTERN THAN WHEN LOADED WHERE THEY MUST STAY IN THEIR
RESPECTED AREAS.  I believe it and would never run an engine at a high
rev unloaded. I truly beleive there is a little knowledge from the old
guys, and I mean a lot older than me.