Re: TR6 engine conversions (smog equipment)

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: TR6 engine conversions (smog equipment)
From: "steve bridge" <slbridge@hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 31 Jan 2004 23:48:48 +0000
"From what I understand, old cars (i.e. pre-smog, '74 and earlier) make up
only
5%
of all the cars on the road, but account for approximately half---50%---of
all automobile pollution".

   The big power companies received, and probably still do to a greater
degree,  "pollution credits" for crushing cars that wouldn't pass
inspection.  $75 each for cars that were usually not running or licensed,
therefore not polluting, so the power companies could dump as they pleased.
    5% causing 50%?  How can they ( the oil/car makers )  quote to us
numbers like that with a straight face? When was the last time we saw a 1970
Chevelle SS that smoked?  Tires don't count!   Any English cars at events?
Maybe smoke whispers from a 100% original TD putting on 500 miles per year.
A Corvette? No way!
  We taxpayers paid Chrysler in the late 70's to develop and build an
electric car that got the equivlant of 200 MPG in a Horizon.  65MPH top
speed and a 130 mile range.  It worked, and now we are paying the big three
to do it again...   I could live with 200MPG and 65 MPH, not when I
autocross, but to haul my fat butt around town, you bet!  I don't care what
the car looks like... even a Horizon....( making a face )

  I digress,  I used all pollution controls but the Catalytic Converters
from my SD1 when I installed the 3.5 in my Spitfire.  Installing the O2
sensors on my custom exhaust was extra labor, but why mess with engineering
that works?
SDSteve

http://wine.msn.com/