Re: TR6 Diff repair & template attached

To: Bob Greene <rgreene@whoi.edu>, <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: TR6 Diff repair & template attached
From: Brian Yarborough <bytr6@frontiernet.net>
Date: Fri, 12 Mar 2004 19:05:09 -0500
on 3/12/04 1:28 PM, Bob Greene at rgreene@whoi.edu wrote:

> Hey Brian:
> Welcome to the world of Triumph. The TR6 diff. mounts are
> notoriously famous to crack. Be happy you found it now. I could hear
> noise in my rear end area, I replaced all the u-joints & it was still
> there.
> After further investigation I found the cracked diff mount. FYI all
> the diff. cracks happen to the front (passenger side) mount. It happens
> when the rubber mounting bushing becomes worn. With some slop in the
> rubber mount, every time you accelerate & decelerate it rocks the diff.
> back & forth until the mount breaks.
> The good news the fix is relatively easy (if you have the use of a
> welder). I think it took me about 3-4 hours from removal to replacement
> of the diff.
> I have attached a template of the gusset you need to make, to weld
> in for repair. I used it on mine & had good luck. Afterwards, make sure
> you put new bushings in the mounts.
> While you have the diff. out, it would be a good time to clean the
> vent on the top & check the diff. for leaks.
> Good Luck
> Bob Greene
> VP Cape Cod British Car Club (CCBCC)
> www.capecodbritishcarclub.org
> 76 TR6
> 79 Spitfire

Bob;
I know this well. In 1977 my first TR-6, a 1971, the first car I ever owned
(boy, did I love that car, Heck, that's why I bought this one), crack 2
mounts, and ripped the right front one out completely! (Those hole shots
will do it every time.)
I'm going to take the other side rear axle out, remove the driveshaft (I
want to replace all 6 U-joints anyway) and drop the diff, and weld away. May
the force be with me!

Brian Yarborough
1976 TR-6
CF55886UO