Subject: Re: LED dash bulbs (again)

To: <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Subject: Re: LED dash bulbs (again)
From: "Scot Montrey" <SMontrey@nam.org>
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 09:48:00 -0400
I have fairly dim gauge lights as well and have tried to remedy.  Here's
some FYIs -

* Bypassing the rheostat in my case made no difference, however it's not
a bad idea because I've read/heard that they can be a bit of a fire
hazard as they age.

* It's worth pulling the bulbs out just to see if they happen to covered
with any significant amount of dust.  Less likely on the dash but a
friend did this on his tail-lights and they brightened up considerably -
couldn't believe how much crud had collected on those bulbs over the
years.

* Because my gauges are of varying brightness and I've determined that
all bulbs are working, I finally came to the determination that a DPO
had buggered things up when replacing the dashboard.  Maybe those who
have actually done this can correct me, but it appears in my car that
the "plates" of various gauges are closer to the glass than others,
which affects the gap around the edges that allows light to come around
from behind.  At that point it struck me that the problem wasn't really
all that bad.  I don't want to start pulling gauges out unless they
actually die.