Re: Rear Axle Question

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rear Axle Question
From: tr6taylor@webtv.net (Sally or Dick Taylor)
Date: Mon, 5 Apr 2004 23:30:54 -0700 (PDT)
Marty---New axle pairs have very little, almost imperceptable slop in
them. There obviously needs to be some clearance in the splines, as they
have to slide during wheel height changes.  As you figured, when play
gets excessive the click will get more noticeable during gear changes
and the like.
So, it is "normal" to have play in these. If you are trying to get rid
of all drive train noises, go with the best axle pairs you can get.
Know that these can get very sloppy and still drive the wheel, as there
is a lot of surface area in these splines.

Dick

Marty wrote:
While I have the TR6 rear end out I am replacing all the u-joints. While
in the process I observed that there is some slight rotational slop in
the half shaft assemblies. This is when dry (no grease). I feel this on
both of them. I went to my parts pile where I had a spare and this has
some slop also. It is slight but it's still there. Do you experts feel
that this should be a slop free fit on these spines or is this normal.
What say you?
Thanks,
Marty