Re: Running Rich, Gas in Oil?

To: "Adam C Beasley" <adam@adambeasley.com>, <6pack@autox.team.net>,
Subject: Re: Running Rich, Gas in Oil?
From: "Ken Davis" <ken.davis@comcast.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Apr 2004 18:50:03 -0700
Hi Adam,

you'll probably get lots of help and advice on this one, but I just had to
jump in as carb's are my tender spot right now.

Had a similar event happen several years back; the super rich running was
caused by the floats and float valves sticking open - bad re'ass'y on my
part, but was relatively easy to fix when I clued into it.   As for gas in
the oil, 2 schools of thought on this.  Most conservative being drain your
oil and put in new stuff.  2nd school says that provided you don't hi-rev
(3000+ ??) your engine, the gas will 'boil' off when the engine gets hot.
Can take a few days of cautious driving at operating temp... Me?  I'd change
it, since oils only about a buck a quart.

Just to ensure the sticking has corrected itself, a quick carb removal and
stripdown might be in order.  I'd check the action of the floats, and the
freeplay measurement, just to make sure it was within  spec.   Since you did
a rebuild not to long ago, the rest of each carb probably doesn't need much
action.

HTH

Ken
73 TR6 CF07000U0