Vacuum retard question

To: "6 List" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: Vacuum retard question
From: "Navarrette, Vance" <vance.navarrette@intel.com>
Date: Thu, 15 Apr 2004 09:17:28 -0700
        Folks:

        I suspect my vacuum retard is not working properly. I have
noticed
that the vacuum capsule on the disti acts as if it has a hole in the
diaphragm. If I pull a vacuum on it, it bleeds down in 1-2 seconds, and
I can hear a leak inside the capsule.
        Question: Is that normal behavior?

        I don't get the rise in idle speed when I disconnect the vacuum
line
to the retard capsule. I have a modest vacuum present in the vacuum
line,
but it doesn't seem very robust.
        So I am wondering if my vacuum capsule has a problem, or if the
thermal switch is sticking and not permitting enough vacuum to reach the
capsule to overcome the leak. For all I know the leak may be correct to
permit
vacuum to bleed off when the thermal switch closes.
        So, those of you with working vacuum retards, how is the capsule
supposed
to behave? They aren't available from Moss. anyone have a good source?

        Thanks,

        Vance