More Timing Questions

To: 6pack@autox.team.net
Subject: More Timing Questions
From: Carsickguy@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Apr 2004 22:40:24 -0400
    I recently discovered that my vacuum retard unit on my 1976 TR6 is not
functioning.  From what I've seen here on the list and from all of the
disconnected or plugged ones I've seen on other TRs at shows, this is not
necessarily a bad thing...
    I'm trying to understand why one would even want to retard timing at high
vacuum (cruising and idle) situations.  I would have guessed it was emissions
related, but retarding should result in a less efficient burning of the fuel
and that doesn't seem to make sense to me either.  Can anyone explain?  Thanks!
 Stu Ehrhardt, Davisburg, MI '76 TR6