TR6 again, and car for sale!

To: "6Pack" <6pack@autox.team.net>
Subject: TR6 again, and car for sale!
From: "James Franks" <jimmble@adelphia.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Apr 2004 12:15:37 -0400
Well, I can't stay away. I sold my last 1972 TR6 about 4 years ago to buy
into a (failed) internet start-up. I have an unrestored TR250 or two but
missed my TR6. Golf clubs are an issue in a 250, you see. They fit in a TR6
trunk.

I recently bought 2 very clean TR6's from two wonderful and hospitable
6-pack people in Alabama and North Carolina. I will be keeping the NC car, a
76 with A/C for myself to replace my lost 72, and will be restoring and
selling the 1974 after a 73 bumper retrofit. The 'keeper' was purchased from
the brother of the original owner, and has been under a car cover in a
carport in NC since 87. I plan to do the mechanical stuff and drive it as
much untouched original as possible. I think there's a certain charm to
driving a car with some wear and tear from the years.

Currently the 1974 car has  'powder blue' paint, but I will be putting the
car on a restored, painted  frame so a color change is in order. I am
thinking of green or white with a new tan interior. (I have a new interior
here to use)

If anyone is interested in getting with me to purchase the 74 early in the
restoration process, you could choose the color of paint and make other
choices as to how the car is finished off. The deal works like this: I
evaluate the car, and come up with a list of parts required to restore it. I
determine the final price based on replacing all the rubber, suspension
bushings, front wheel bearings, brake hoses, wheel cylinders,  top,
dashboard and bumpers with new as a matter of course. Engine will get a
teardown and rebuild. Rebuilt transmission and front calipers. Paint will be
a hardened enamel. Any 'optional things' like Sport exhaust, fancy steering
wheels, luggage racks, etc. are extra cost, just like buying a new car. ;^)
This will be a driving restoration, not a show job. I won't be polishing and
painting bolt heads or shining hose clamps. I don't care if the vacuum hose
to the brake booster has a stripe or not, but I do care if it looks dry
rotted and needs replaced. I have plenty of pics of my past work, and I am
consistent.

The buyer pays 1/2 of the agreed total up front as a means for me to buy
parts, and when the car is completed he/she has right of refusal for full
refund if not satisfied. I  used to have a business doing cars this way, and
never had a customer refuse a car. Oh, BTW, another part of the deal is a
time limit on me, since I will have your cash. If I don't finish in 1 year
the buyer is entitled to full refund! I expect to finish in time to drive it
this Fall, but need to allow for unforseen delays.

E-mail me off-list at jimmble@adelphia.net for more info and pictures.

No I'm not getting back in the restoration business, and  I am NOT
interested in selling the car as is, sorry.

 I just drove 50 hours solo in the last 2 weeks to get these cars, so I'm
going back to bed now!

Jim

Opportunities multiply as they are seized. - Sun Tzu